Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Way It Is… I Think


Looking back to my first year or let me go back to when I was still getting jammed by JAMB. I had this funny notion that once I got admission all things would work out asin respect, getting the chicks, looking and living fly, the parties and generally get to experience the fun of being an undergraduate (my older ones and friends always painted a very crazy picture of life in the university…) and so it was with this mentality that I kept on enduring the stress and stigma of writing JAMB more than once, attending JAMB lessons, and the constant reminder by my dad (who never told me point blank but I always got the message) that I wasn’t supposed to be at home but in school, all this time I kept mute only looking at the prize.
Finally in 2005, I got admission to YABATECH and though it wasn’t what I wanted, hell it sure beat staying at home. now the life there (YABATECH) was cool, though I couldn’t blame them (if you had the UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS as a neighbor you would have to adjust wouldn’t you?) and they tried so hard to be like their counterparts but there was a clear distinction. Life there was fun, believe me people in polytechnics know how to get down asin the parties were crazy made a lot of really cool friends and the girls… don’t get me started. So when I had to leave there for something “better” in November, (yep the God of JAMB finally heard my prayers and please don’t get me wrong I have nothing against polytechnics but… u know now) it was like I had won 10million naira in “who wants to be a millionaire” I was practically counting down the days to my trip to Benin. and so when I finally started I just couldn’t wait to continue with the kinda life I had, then came the minor setbacks… first my dad insisted I stay in the schools hostel which believe me “no deh try at all!!!” so the chicks had to wait till I got a place of my own Damn you dad!!!, then dressing… I found out that I brought the wrong kind of clothes asin I was all big t-shirt, baggy jeans and sneakers only for me to find out that this was a shirt, cut and sew trouser and PAM SLIPPERS wearing school and I was constantly standing out as a jambite cos I was just odd. I kept on enduring the constant taunts of “jambite”, ”jambito”, ”mummy’s boy”… by staylites till one of my friends advised me to change my dressing before “confra guys start tracking me” and so I joined the PAM brigade.
Then there is this common notion that the higher you go the easier things get believe me that is so wrong!!! Now a typical gal in 100l wont be caught with someone in her level (believe me its true) they rather go for the “randomest” guy in a higher level (pls allow my English) and in my day, what we used to console ourselves was that next year there would be fresher’s abi? So my 100l came and passed and the only remarkable event in my life that year was the welcome party organized by my department cos that was when the dean of students in his wisdom decided to ban all parties, shows and events on campus except church activities, so this meant officially I was socially FUCKED!!!
Come 200l and we eagerly anticipated the arrival of the “jambites” only for those in 300 and 400 to continue oppressing us and taking our chicks (though we didn’t own em we felt it was our right to have em…), come 300l and it was the final year that they had all the glory and we consoled ourselves that come final year nothing would stand in our way and now come final year they are after workers and people serving asin these gals eyes just get bigger and bigger!!! And now the new gist is that the chicks are easier to come by in camp during youth service (laughing… well till then…)
The sad truth is that the higher you go the more difficult life becomes. Personally speaking, I long for my primary and junior secondary school days when I didn’t have to worry about anything except when cartoons were going to come on on TV (it was 4pm I think for local stations and all day for those of us with ktv and cartoon network),the size of meat u'll get that night, the constant trips to fast food joints, when to play with friends (police and thief, mummy and daddy...) and which senior to dodge in secondary school. Now I have my project on my neck, my grades to maintain, the haunting question of what I want to and what I’m going to do with my life after school, and how long it will take for me to set myself up and get married (though I’ve given myself 10 years you never know…), and the kind of person I want to get married, if I will ever get married (I’ve seen things that make me ask myself this question time and time again) and other things like being broke all the time and trying to avid the constant stream of girls on my neck who think I’m the father they never had, I’m so tired…
Life in the university (well I don’t know about yours but here for me in Unibend) is STRESS!!! I got to find out the hard way. If I start listing things I have experienced ehn, you will wonder how I managed to remain sane (though I nearly lost it last year!) So this year I have vowed to take things easy cos if anything happens to me Unibend aint gonna pay my dad gratuity or anything. But seriously don’t believe the hype, anything who tells you that life in the university is easy is either not a real student of that school asin has fake admission or doesn’t know why he or she is there in the first place. Ha!!! I hate my life right now!!!
                                                                   P.S
Someone was shot on his way to school on Monday; I can’t imagine who would want to kill someone on a Monday morning!!! It’s my prayer that God will give the late students family the fortitude to bear their immeasurable loss amen.

No comments: