Monday, February 2, 2009

Religious Matters


Just finished a 30 day compulsory fasting and prayer marathon initiated by the pastor of my church. If you see me ehn!! I look like one lanky scarecrow with a very big head!! I have really lost a lot of weight!! As in the small flesh I managed to add by doing mogbomoya (well I ain't Yoruba so sue me!!) in people’s houses and parties… need I go on!
Now, my dad happens to be an elder in my church and you can bet your life that if there are 7 Sundays in a week, you will see him in church on 8. He is always on my case! Just yesterday (Thursday), he was nearly calling me an atheist! See me see trouble, did someone tell him that I’m training to be a pastor or something? Or since when did church become compulsory? Is there a part of the Nigerian constitution that states that I must go to church everyday? Now don’t get me wrong, I love God. I can’t even start telling you guys, because I don’t have the words to express what I feel for him. But I love doing things when I’m led. I don’t like attending church because my dad said so or because of this or that I do so because I have the urge to do so. Abi na by going to church na im pesin deh enter heaven? I have seen things in my church enough to test my faith, but I keep telling myself that I worship God and not man. And my church doesn’t help matters, they bring some very dry people to preach, conduct and do stuff and it’s a wonder how I manage to stay awake throughout, though I always manage to head in a modest amount of goals sha. So I’m surprised that I didn’t loose it yesterday (because to be frank I’ve always had a temper and it sort of runs in the family), I had to hold myself to not say anything because if I did it would have been a different story. The case is not the same with another of my friends who isn’t speaking to his dad because of this same issue, they nearly got physical!! So the fasting and prayer that is supposed to help bring people together in the spirit has ended up causing more harm than good. So please someone should help me tell my dad oh, because like a popular saying goes, “you can force a horse to a stream but not to drink the water”. You can end up forcing me to church, but that doesn’t mean I will gain anything or even listen to what’s going on!
On a lighter note, I watched in shock last week when I saw that the men of the Nigerian police force had suddenly run out of people to arrest and had started arresting animals. A robber was said to have changed to a GOAT!! It didn’t stop there; they had the balls to parade the goat to journalists telling them this absurd story. I would have forgotten about this had my uncle from Japan not called to ask me if it was true, I have been fielding calls from friends abroad asking if its what they hear about the goat is true. See me see trouble, am I the minister of information, the last time I checked, I wasn’t, but the sad thing is that its everywhere, on bbc, cnn, saharereporters the list is endless. I heard the goats being auctioned for =N= 300 or $2. Maybe someone who knows how to reverse people who change to animals will buy it sorry him since we are talking about a person who temporarily happens to be a goat. Kudos to the Nigerian police and our newest celebrity… the Goat from Ilorin (who happens to be my new wallpaper, screen saver…)

P.S
I’m going to hurt someone soon, I have tried and tried to avoid this, but it seams as if this is inevitable. I’m dreading the whole idea but like my friend sonny will say, you can like someone but there is no guarantee that the person will like you back the same way.
Sad but true

No comments: