Thursday, January 22, 2009

Obama Blues...

Written on Tuesday 20-01-09
As I watch President Barack Obama take his oath of office I cannot help but wonder if I am still dreaming… I remember clearly when he was still running against sen. Hilary Clinton for the party ticket and I thought of his whole ambition as a ruse or better still a fools dream. I remember heated arguments with my friends outlining how he would fail in the race, little was I to know that I would eat my words later. Not only did he win his party’s ticket, but he went on to win the presidential election!! Now to some people it might not look like a big deal but I can feel the joy and pride of every single black of more preferably “African American”, these were people who started voting around 1965 and 44 years later produced a president. I can understand why the Rev. Jesse Jackson was in tears when he was announced the winner of the presidential election; this was someone who stood with Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. when he made the “I have a dream” speech… I understand why 80% of the people who gathered at the Capitol Hill were in tears because 30 or 40 years ago even dreaming of something like this was impossible… In short I am so overwhelmed that I’m sure I’m blabbing but anyone who in the words of my pastor has “keyed in” will understand how I feel right now. So now I salute Mr. Barack Husein Obama, the 44th President of America.
Om a lighter note I remember when obama won his election, I was reading for my second semester exams in my favorite classroom, when someone walked into the class and started giving an unwanted “motivational” speech, now I have always asked anyone I meet whenever I remember why Nigerians are the greatest motivational speakers? I have seen some “get rich” seminars where the speakers who claim to be able to show people the secret of wealth are often some scruffy looking “mo fo”. Anyway back to what I was saying… Ehen, the guy after giving his speech and inviting us for his seminar (that’s his own get rich strategy) told us to believe, citing obama as an example; he stated that for America to have a black president, anything is possible. That now England can now have a BLACK KING AND QUEEN!!! HABA!!!!! It’s like saying that the next James bond will be a black man, or the next president of Nigeria will be WHITE (well….. in naija anything is possible) and that’s not even possible, well you trust Nigerians…..

P.S
That Mo fo from New Year’s Day still met me in church on Sunday, asking me if I have a problem with him. I nearly head butted the a*****e, but in the spirit of the season I decided to let him be. My ex called again “asking how I was”, (yeah right!) Resumptions been postponed to next month (Feb.), can you imagine ehn, unibend doesn’t want me to chase any jambite this year!! And this means I’m spending Valentines Day in lag (thank God) and my Dad started my year on a good note… He bought me a new laptop computer! And finaly,on a sad note, I regret to announce the passing away of my ipod nano, she was 2 years old and is survived by a pair of earphones, usb cord and plastic case. May her gentle soul rest in perfect peace. Amen.
Ciao

No comments: