Monday, June 8, 2009

Judgement Day...

(Gong, gong, gong…) the bell fag rings the bell for the last wake up call this session, gradually the school comes alive with junior students scurrying like rats, rushing to get water and trying in vain to look for their missing items (clothes, buckets and all…) shouts of “hey that junior boy!” rent the air as the lazier senior students look for an unfortunate junior student to get water or do demeaning chores for them (trust me, if u don’t think washing somebody’s boxers isn’t demeaning then…).
This was the scene every last day of the term but the highpoint was at the end of the session. I remember my time as a junior student. I dreaded this day because of the amount of work, gosh! We had to make sure the hostel was spick and span (hope I got that right, anyway I isn’t no English student jare... ) where was I… ehem, the seniors would pair us and make us do stupid things like slap ourselves, burst or pick their pimples like some lower primates if not that, there was the massage session or washing spree! But we did all this with gladness knowing it was only a matter of hours before school would officially be on break and all elements of seniority would end (at least for a month…) but like all things good, there was a bad side to the last day of the session, that was the day you got to see your result for the term and session and know if you were going to the next class or not. It was popularly known as “judgment day”. Now unlike many of you guys that went to “crème” schools, where your teachers first talked to you before giving you your result, which was usually in a sealed envelope and shit… my school announced the people that moved on to the next class, got promoted on trial, repeated, and those that were asked to withdraw from the school. Most times you never knew where you stood till they had passed your class. I remember my last judgment day vividly… I was in ss1, and we had been hearing rumors about the new rule that only allowed people with 6 credits and above including math’s and English to be promoted (believe me they enforced things like this to the letter, I’m a living example but that’s another story for another day…) anyway, and since yours truly sucked at math’s (back then if I may add) I was among the many students that prayed throughout the night for a miracle (ok, let me be honest, like 10 minutes, but that was a big step for me then). So by 12pm, the bell fag rang the bell for the special parade and after the long prayers and talks by different members of staff we got down to the main business of the day (now we always prayed something would happen to our commandant or the weather would make things easy for us, although there was this one time in my Jss2 that it rained throughout the day but trust my kill joy commandant, he made us do it by 7pm that evening!)
Commandant – “yes the name of those to repeat in jss1 silver”
Students – groan
And he went on and on till he got to my class…
Commandant –“ss1 emerald. Out of a class of 40, we have 32 people that passed, 8 repeat and 2 to withdraw”
Scarlet boy – “please God!”
Commandant –“those to repeat are as follows…”
Scarlet boy – “I’ll be good. I’ll give alms to the poor, I’ll stop being greedy, I’ll start going to church on Sundays! Ooh I’ll be soo GOOD!!!”
Commandant – “Number 1…”
Scarlet Boy – PLEASE GOD!!!!

And so the torture went on, believe me those 2 or so minutes were like 10 years, it was as if time stood still, everywhere was quiet with the occasional shriek or sobs by people whose name had been called, it was till he moved on to the next class that I actually realized that I made it! I gave a very big YES!! (That earned me 12 strokes of the bulalla or fan belt I really don’t remember) and hugs and kisses (yeah right, that sounded nice) to all my classmates for successfully moving on to the next class.
Yeah that was some day.

p.s
im starting exams on wednesday, thanks to ASUU. and im so not ready!! sha God Deh
Ciao...

3 comments:

BSNC said...

lol good old dayz. I can imagine what you went through.

Good luck on your exams.

Anonymous said...

luved ur story soooo much..took me down memory lane...gosh i hated collecting my results even though i knew i wouldnt have to repeat a class..some seniors could be sooo vile

scarletboy said...

@bsnc, trust me i wouldnt want my enemy going through that gosh it was so tense and the 12 strokes didnt help matters, i still have the scars to remind me of that day. @anonymous, thanks i just hated doing those things. I knw i cursed a lot of em